This page tries to provide answer to some of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) related to the klia2, such as what is klia2, where is klia2, how to go to klia2, klia2 layout plan, how to contact klia2 management, what are the facilities available at the klia2 terminal, and other relevant questions.
These FAQs are posted here for your references. This list of questions & answers is far from completion and more will be added from time to time.
klia2 related questions
Q. What is klia2
The new Malaysian Airport, Kuala Lumpur International Airport 2 (klia2), is built to be the Next Generation Hub – International Airport Hub – that allows seamless connectivity for both local and international low-cost plus full-service carriers for Malaysia.
The klia2 airport is built to cater for the explosive growth in low-cost travel industry. It is planned to accommodate 45 million passengers a year.
The klia2 terminal is measured to be at least 257,000 sqm, with 60 gates, 8 remote stands, 80 aerobridges, plus a retail space of 32,000 sqm to accommodate 225 retail outlets.
Comparison Between KLIA, LCCT and klia2
|Passenger Capacity (yearly)|
|Terminal Size (sqm)|
|KLIA||About RM10 Billion|
|LCCT||RM300 Million (terminal only)|
|klia2||RM4 Billion (estimated)|
|Retail Space (sqm)|
|KLIA||Runway 1 and 2 at KLIA|
|LCCT||Runway 1 and 2 at KLIA|
|klia2||Runway 1, 2, new 4km runway 3|
(capacity / floor space)
|KLIA||52 pax per sqm|
|LCCT||234 pax per sqm|
|klia2||124 pax per sqm|
Q. When will klia2 be operational
It was first designed to cater 30 million passengers a year, measured about 150,000 sqm, and was scheduled to complete in April 2012 for 2 billion Malaysia Ringgit. See pictures of design.
The cost was increased to 3.6 billion Malaysia Ringgit, and it was rescheduled to open in May 2013. See pictures of construction.
Further revised to be built at a cost around 4 billion Malaysia Ringgit, the klia2 was scheduled to be opened in 28 June, 2013. But due to construction delay, the klia2 airport finally was opened on 2 May 2014 for full operations.
Major Upgrades in Specifications
|Provisional (Feb’ 09): RM2 Billion||GFA: 150,000 m2|
|Revised: RM3.6 – 3.9 Billion||GFA: 257,000 m2|
|Increase in Scope (%)||+71.3%|
|Provisional (Feb’ 09): RM2 Billion||Area: 4.85 mil m2|
|Revised: RM3.6 – 3.9 Billion||Area: 11.19 mil m2|
|Increase in Scope (%)||+130.7%|
|Runway 3, Taxiway Pavement & AGL System|
|Provisional (Feb’ 09): RM2 Billion||Code C, Length 2.50km, Width 45m|
|Revised: RM3.6 – 3.9 Billion||Code E, Length 3.96km, Width 60m|
|Increase in Scope (%)||+64.7% (Area)|
|Provisional (Feb’ 09): RM2 Billion||Area: 500,000 m2, 50 semi contact stands|
|Revised: RM3.6 – 3.9 Billion||Area: 803,709 m2, 68 gates & 8 remote stands, (80 aerobridges)|
|Increase in Scope (%)||+60.7%|
|Provisional (Feb’ 09): RM2 Billion||Apron Control Tower, Height 77m|
|Revised: RM3.6 – 3.9 Billion||Air Traffic Control Tower, Height 93m|
|Increase in Scope (%)||+20.8% (Height)
+115.4% (Nav. Aids)
|Provisional (Feb’ 09): RM2 Billion||Length: 8km with 1.5 km elevated road|
|Revised: RM3.6 – 3.9 Billion||Length: 15km with 5.4 km elevated road|
|Increase in Scope (%)||+87.5%
Q. Are there any information counters at the klia2
There are 6 information counters located throughout the klia2 terminal. These counters are located at Level 2 Arrival Hall and Level 3 Departure Hall in both Main Terminal and Satellite Buildings. Information assistants are at the counter 24-hours to assist with visitor inquiries.
|General Line||03 – 8778 5000|
+603 8778 5540
^603 8778 5541
+603 8778 5542
Q. How can I contact Immigration department at klia2
Passengers are advised to check with the Malaysian Consulate or representative office nearest to you for the Visa requirements before planning a trip to Malaysia.
+603 8778 5468
+603 8778 5462
+603 8778 5463
Q. What’s facilities available at klia2
Measured to be at least 257,000 sqm, with 60 gates, 8 remote stands, 80 aerobridges, plus a retail space of 32,000 sqm to accommodate 225 retail outlets, the klia2 is spectacular. Read more about facilities available at klia2.
Review the hotels near klia2.
Q. What are the shops at klia2
Q. Where is klia2
Located less than 2km away from KLIA, The klia2 links the low-cost carrier and airline passengers together for a seamless transit to any destination worldwide. There is a Express Rail Link extension constructed to connect KLIA to klia2.
Terminal klia2, KL International Airport Jalan klia 2/1, 64000 KLIA, Sepang, Selangor, Malaysia. See Google map
|Telephone: (603) – 8778 5000|
|GPS Coordinates: 2.7433° N, 101.6981° E|
|Distance to KLIA: About 2KM|
|Distance to LCCT: About 16KM|
|klia2 Layout Plan | Departure Hall | Arrival Hall | Satellite|
Q. What airline companies are using klia2
klia2 now houses AirAsia, AirAsia X, AirAsia Indonesia, Thai AirAsia and AirAsia Zest – which accounts for 80% of passenger traffic – as well as Jetstar Asia, TigerAir / Scoot and Cebu Pacific Airways.
Q. Is there any post office at the klia2
No. Post office is not available at the klia2. However, post office is available at KLIA, a terminal just 2km away from klia2. Read more on postal service at KLIA.
Q. Is there any smoking area at klia2
Smoking is strongly discouraged at Malaysia Airports and is strictly forbidden in any of its offices, buildings, workshops or worksites, with the sole exception of the specifically designated smoking areas at klia2.
Q. What is the cost of building the klia2 terminal
The opening of the Malaysia Airport klia2 has been delayed five times from its initial target in September 2011 and has since saw its initial budget of RM1.6 billion skyrocketed to RM4 billion*.
The final cost of the project will be revealed when the project is completed and finalized. The MAHB will compile everything in a report and pass it to Transport minister once it is ready.
|Date & Events|
|Jul 2007, klia2 would cost RM1.7 billion. This was announced by then-Transport Minister Ong Tee Keat. Read the story.|
|Mar 2009, klia2 budget increased to RM2.0 billion. Read the story.|
|Oct 2010, klia2 cost ballooned to RM2.5 billion. Read the story.|
|Nov 2011, klia2 cost more than doubled compared to 2007 at RM3.9 billion according to Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB). Read the story.|
|Jul 2012, AirAsia Group CEO Tony Fernandes said klia2 cost had escalated to RM5 billion. But authorities denied the figure. Read the story.|
|Oct 2012, klia2 cost had increased to RM4 billion, Transport Minister Abdul Rahim Bakri told the parliament. Read the story.|
|Aug 2013, Acting Transport Minister Hishamuddin Hussein said klia2 would not cost more than RM4 billion. Read the story.|
|9 Feb 2014, Deputy Transport Minister Abdul Aziz Karpawi, the chief of Special Cabinet Taskforce on klia2 confirmed Hishamuddin’s statement that the cost would not exceed RM4 billion.|
|31 Mar 2014, Abdul Aziz admitted to The Edge Financial Daily that the cost of klia2 airport is more than RM4 billion. Read the story.|
|10 Jun 2014, Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Ab Aziz Kaprawi said the construction of the Kuala Lumpur international airport 2 (klia2) is among Malaysia’s best achievements in the global arena because the cost only entailed RM3.92 billion and it was completed in four years unlike other similar terminals elsewhere. Read the story.|
|25 Jul 2014, The total cost for building the mega-hybrid airport klia2, which began operations on May 2, is RM4.5 billion which ballooned from the last capped budget of RM4 billion. Read the story.|
Q. What is the chronological order of klia2 design and build process
- 2009, Sime Darby and AirAsia proceed with proposed LCCT project in Labu. Project later canceled.
- 2009, First request from AirAsia to separate runway to 2.5km.
- 2010, Earthworks at klia2 begin and contractors appointed.
- Jun 2011, AirAsia requested to change semi-automated baggage handling system (BHS) to a fully automated BHS. At this juncture, 40% of the project had been completed as per October 2012 deadline and changes would cause delay to the project.
- Sep 2011, MAHB starts project management at klia2.
- Sep 2011, First completion date.
- Nov 2011, klia2 plan upgraded to cater to 45 million passengers. Cost up to RM4 billion.
- Apr 2012, Second completion date.
- Apr 2012, UEM request one year to make the necessary changes.
- Oct 2012, AirAsia says will shift to klia2 once completed.
- Oct 2012, Third completion date.
- Nov 2012, UEM and Bina Puri Holdings raised cash flow issue. MAHB paid RM190 million for 65% of work done and advanced RM80 million to expedite completion of KLIA.
- Jan 2013, UEM ask six more weeks to complete the project and commit delivery on May 1.
- Apr 2013, Immigration department request additional counters from 35 to 80.
- 1 May 2013, Fourth completion date.
- 28 Jun 2013, Fifth completion date.
- 2 May 2014, Sixth completion date.
Transportations related questions
Q. Can I see the location map of the klia2
This driving guide to the klia2 will show you several location maps and directions to the klia2.
Q. How do I drive to the klia2
If you are driving to the klia2, this driving guide to the klia2 may be helpful.
Review tool to check toll fare.
Q. What are the buses going to klia2
Many buses perform regular service routes to the klia2. See the full list of buses to klia2.
Q. Buses are available at these locations to go to klia2
These buses can be used to go to the klia2:
Q. How much is the taxi charge to klia2
Depending on your location, you can review the taxi charges here to get an estimate. If you are at the klia2 and you need to hire a taxi, you can check out this guide on hiring taxi services at the klia2.
Review tool to check taxi fare.
Q. Bus to go to Pahang, Terengganu or Kelantan
First, you can take the buses or trains at the klia2 to KL Sentral then take the KTM Komuter at the KL Sentral to the Putra KTM station. The Hentian Putra Bus Terminal is just short walking distance away for you to buy bus ticket to Pahang, Terengganu or Kelantan.
Q. What are the bus companies servicing the klia2
- Aerobus – route covers KL Sentral and Genting Highlands
- Airport Liner – route covers KLIA, Nilai, and Salak Tinggi
- Cityliner – route covers Seremban areas
- Jetbus – route covers Terminal Bersepadu Selatan (TBS) and klia2
- Skybus – route covers KL Sentral and 1 Utama
- Star Shuttle – route covers Puduraya, Ipoh, Sitiawan, and Teluk Intan
- Transnasional – route covers Malacca and klia2
Q. Any Express Rail Link (ERL) to klia2
Both the KLIA Ekspres and KLIA Transit trains perform regular service routes from KL Sentral to klia2. Inter-terminal transfer between KLIA and klia2 is also available for RM2.00 per trip with a 3 minutes train ride.
Review tool to check KLIA Transit fare.
Q. Does the LRT or MRT go to klia2
Not directly. You can take the LRT or MRT to the KL Sentral and then use the ERL train to go the klia2.
Review tool to check MRT / LRT / Monorail fare.
Review tool to check KTM Kmouter fare.
Popuplar topics on the klia2 terminal
What about LCCT
- 24 July, 2014, MAHB to convert LCCT into a cargo warehouse.
- 9 May, 2014, LCCT officially closes as klia2 takes over.
- 6 April, 2014, With flight operations at klia2 beginning on May 2, the current low-cost carrier terminal (LCCT) will be closed on May 9, 2014. Read more on MAHB: klia2 has everything AirAsia asked for
- 13 July, 2010, The Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) in Sepang will be converted into a cargo terminal once the construction of a new terminal for low cost flights is completed, said Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha, read more on LCCT will be turned into cargo terminal.
- 2 February, 2008, Malaysia Airports Holding Bhd is considering turning the existing Low-Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT) into a cargo transportation hub when the new LCCT is ready in the next three to four years, according to managing director Datuk Seri Bashir Ahmad, read more on LCCT may become cargo hub when new terminal is up.
Check out Low Cost Carrier Terminal (LCCT).
Did you find what you are looking for? Try out the enhanced Google Search: