The Kota Kinabalu International Airport (KKIA) is located about 8 km from the city of Kota Kinabalu, the state capital of Sabah, Malaysia. The airport serves the city of Kota Kinabalu as well as the entire west coast of Sabah.
It is one of the busiest airports in Malaysia after Kuala Lumpur International Airport with around 4 million passengers using this airport annually for domestic and international flights.
|Kota Kinabalu International Airport (BKI)|
|Address||Kota Kinabalu International Airport
Beg Berkunci No 134, Aras 5, Bangunan Terminal, 88740 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
|Telephone||+6088 325 555|
|Latitude / Longitude||05°56'13.95"N / 116°03'04.25"E|
|Time Zone||+8:00 hours from UTC/GMT|
|View Kota Kinabalu International Airport on Google Map|
|Check BKI Flight Status|
Terminal 1, Kota Kinabalu Airport
Terminal 1 is the main terminal of KKIA. It is accessed via Jalan Putatan in Petagas nearby Kepayan.
The Terminal 1 building has 64 check-in counters for international and domestic flights, as well as 17 aircraft parking bays capable of accommodating both wide and narrow-body aircraft. The terminal building can handle up to 3,200 passengers at any given time.
The floor size at Level 1 is 24,128 sqm, Level 2 is 18,511.4 sqm and Level 3 is 22,339 sqm, providing sufficient space for all passengers. The new terminal has also been configured with 12 aerobridges.
- Level 1 is for arrivals
- Level 2 is mainly utilized for within-Sabah departures and the airline offices
- Level 3 is for International and Sarawak/West Malaysia departures
It also features duty-free shops, other shops, lounges, travel agents, restaurants, and other facilities. Malaysia Airlines is the main operating airline in this terminal.
- Asiana: Seoul – Incheon
- Cathay Pacific
- Dragonair: Hong Kong
- Domodedovo: Airlines Charter
- Far Eastern Air Transport:Taipei – Taiwan Taoyuan
- Korean Air: Seoul – Incheon (Seasonal)
- Layang Layang Aerospace: Regional
- Malaysia Airlines: Kuala Lumpur, Kuching, Labuan, Miri, Sandakan, Tawau, Bandar Seri Begawan, Cebu, Guangzhou, Kaoshiung, Hong Kong, Manila, Seoul – Incheon, Singapore, Taipei – Taoyuan, Tokyo – Narita
- Royal Brunei: Bandar Seri Begawan
- Singapore Airlines
- Silk Air: Singapore
- TransAsia Airways: Taipei – Taiwan Taoyuan (Charter)
Terminal 2, Kota Kinabalu Airport
What is today Terminal 2 used to be the original terminal building of the airport when it was first built. It is accessed via Jalan Mat Salleh in Tanjung Aru and is located on the other side of the runway from Terminal 1.
The Terminal 2 has undergone a major renovation and extension and it was re-opened on January 1, 2007 in conjunction with Visit Malaysia Year 2007.
The Terminal 2 has 26 check-in counters for domestic and international flights and 6 parking bays for B737 and A320 aircrafts, 7 luggage x-ray machines, a VIP room and 13 immigration counters. AirAsia uses this terminal as the main hub for flights from China to Malaysia due to Kota Kinabalu being the nearest Malaysian hub to China.
The airlines using Terminal 2 include:
- AirAsia: Kuala Lumpur, Johor Bahru, Kuching, Manila-Clark, Miri, Penang, Sandakan, Tawau, Macau
- Thai AirAsia: Bangkok – Suvarnabhumi
- FlyAsianXpress: Bintulu, Kudat, Labuan, Lahad Datu, Lawas, Limbang, Miri, Mulu, Sandakan, Sibu
- Transmile Air Services Cargo
- Sabah Air: Regional
With the planned expansions and renovations, the Kota Kinabalu International Aiport will become the second largest airport in Malaysia, with an annual capacity of 12 million passengers – 9 million from Terminal 1 and 3 million from Terminal 2.
How To Go To Kota Kinabalu Airport
KKIA Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 are about 20 minutes away from Kota Kinabalu city centre and there are buses and taxis aplenty for passengers travelling to and from KKIA Terminal 1 and Terminal 2.
|Kota Kinabalu to T2||T2 to T1|
|T1 to T2||T2 to Kota Kinabalu|
The Airport Bus is servicing KK City (Padang Merdeka) >> KKIA Terminal 2 >> KKIA Terminal 1 >> KKIA Terminal 2 >> KK City (Padang Merdeka) route.
The journey between Kota Kinabalu city and the airport is about 25 to 40 minutes, depending on traffic conditions. The bus ticket is RM5.00 per trip.
|From Kota Kinabalu Airport||
Proceed to the taxi counters located at the Airport upon your arrival for taxi fares and booking:
Luen Thung Tanjung Aru Transport Co. S/B
Tel: +60 88-269500 / +60 88-269506
Mobile: +60 16-8330405
Mobile (Terminal 1): +60 10-9325183
Mobile (Terminal 2): +60 10-9325283
|To Kota Kinabalu Airport||You may hop on almost any taxi service providers to get to Kota Kinabalu Airport. The taxi fare should be about RM30++ from the KK City to T1 or T2 (up to 4 passengers).|
Pictures of Kota Kinabalu Airport
Services & Facilities
- Information and Customer Service Counter: Managed by professional Customer Service Assistants for Enquiries, Lost & Found items, Sales of Souvenirs, Public announcement messages
- Immigration and Customs Department: Screening process for both inbound and outbound passenger
- Connectivity Services : Various means of transportation services available.
- Police Station : The Police Station is manned 24 hours, 7 days a week
- Telephones: Available for IDD and STD calls. Phone cards and prepaid Talk-time can be obtained at nearby retail outlets
- Foreign Exchange & ATM: ATM machines from Maybank, CIMB, AmBank, RHB, Bank Islam. Maybank Bureau de Change & Bank Islam Bureau de Change
- Nursery / Diaper Change room: Added convenience to facilitate diaper change for babies
- Facilities for the Disabled: Prior arrangement can be made for assistance on wheelchairs and direction to special restrooms
- Flight Information Display System: Regular updates on flight and travel related information
- Prayer Rooms: For Muslim passengers/visitors
- Security Systems: Screening of passengers, cargo and luggages. Equipped with CCTV and security guard patrols
- Open Car Parks: More than 1400 parking bays available
- Locker Service: Locker service charge applied on per usage basis
- Food & Drinks: A fine selection of dining restaurants and fast food outlets are available
- Packaging Services: Baggage wrapping and baggage strapping services
- Travel & Tour Services
For those who prefer to drive to the airport, Kota Kinabalu International Airport provides over 1400 parking bays.