24 March 2017
Bukit Aman is aware the three North Korean men wanted in connection with the murder of Kim Jong-nam are taking refuge in the North Korean embassy, Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar (pic) says.
The Inspector-General of Police said investigators were aware that the men, including Air Koryo personnel Kim Uk-il, were still in the embassy.
“We know that the three whom we are seeking are inside there.
“We have always known they are there,” he told a press conference after a presentation of a Kia Sorento 4×4 to the police from Naza Motors in Bukit Aman here yesterday.
The IGP was commenting on a video, which recorded a man resembling Uk-il playing snooker at the North Korean Embassy.
On Monday, All-Nippon News Network (ANN News), operated by Asahi TV, aired the one-minute video footage showing the suspect with several others on the second floor of the embassy building in Jalan Batai, Bukit Damansara.
Two other North Korean men sought are North Korean Embassy Second Secretary Hyon Kwang-song and Ri Ji-u, 30, who is also known as James.
On Malaysia Korea Partners Holdings’ alleged links with North Korea, Khalid said police would look into anything linked to North Korea.
On reports that North Korean agents would be in Malaysia to investigate Jong-nam’s murder, Khalid said: “I don’t want to elaborate. It is our duty to ensure the safety and security of the country.”
He said if any foreign entity, including foreign law enforcement agencies, wanted to conduct their own investigation on Malaysia soil, they needed permission and approval.
“If indeed any foreign entity runs its own investigation (without approval), it is definitely illegal.”
On reports that North Korean suspect Ri Jong-chol, who has since been deported, was an arms dealer, Khalid advised the public not to believe in rumours.
“I have already explained his role and his company’s role here. They were never dealing with arms,” he said.
He added that there were no new developments on the Interpol Red Notice issued on four other North Koreans who have fled the country.
They are Rhi Ji-hyon, 33, Hong Song-hac, 34, O Jong-gil, 55, and Ri Jae-nam, 57.
The four entered the country separately, days before the murder and left for Jakarta from klia2 just after the attack on Feb 13.
Jong-nam was attacked at klia2 after two women smeared a chemical, identified as VX nerve agent, on his face.
Vietnamese Doan Thi Huong and Indonesian Siti Aisyah have been charged with the murder.
On another matter regarding the terrorist attack on Britain’s Houses of Parliament, Khalid said Bukit Aman was on alert for any terrorist threat.
“We will act if we obtain actionable intelligence.
“So far, we have sufficient security for our own Parliament building. There are no threats yet,” he said.
Original Source: thestar