The 9.7 km Stormwater Management And Road Tunnel or SMART Tunnel, is a storm drainage and road structure in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
It is the longest multi-purpose tunnel in the world. It begins at Kampung Berembang lake near Klang River at Ampang and ends at Taman Desa lake near Kerayong River at Salak South.
The main objective of this tunnel is to solve the problem of flash floods in Kuala Lumpur and also to reduce traffic jams along Jalan Sungai Besi and Loke Yew flyover at Pudu during rush hour.
Overview of SMART Tunnel
There are two components of this tunnel, the stormwater tunnel and motorway tunnel.
The motorway tunnel will provide an alternative route for motorists from the Southern Gateway, i.e. Kuala Lumpur-Seremban Expressway, Federal Highway, Sungai Besi Expressway (BESRAYA) and East-West Link entering and exiting the city centre.
The motorway tunnel will reduce traffic congestion at the Southern Gateway leading to the city centre. The travel time will be reduced significantly.
For example from the Jalan Istana Interchange-Kampung Pandan the expected travel time is a mere four minutes compared to ten to fifteen minutes using the existing roads.
Entrance & Exit
The entrance and exit in SMART Highway are located at:
- At Sg Besi, beside the TUDM airfield
- At Jalan Tun Razak, near Bulatan Kg Pandan, beside RHB Bank
- At Jalan Sultan Ismail, at the traffic light of Park Royal Hotel, beside Berjaya Time Square
SMART Tunnel coverage areas include Masjid Jamek, Leboh Ampang, Jalan Melaka, Dataran Merdeka, Dang Wangi, Leboh Pasar, Pasar Seni and Daya Bumi
- Longest tunnel in Malaysia.
- 15 emergency exits including 6 escape shafts to the surface
- 9.7 km stormwater by-pass tunnel.
- 4 km double-deck motorway within stormwater tunnel.
- The motorway tunnel is suitable for light vehicles only. Motorcycles and heavy vehicles are not allowed.
- Ingress and egress connections to the motorway tunnel linking the southern gateway to the city centre.
- Holding basin complete with diversion and tunnel intake structures.
- Storage reservoir and a twin-box culvert to release flood discharge.
- State-of-the-art operations control room equipped with the latest systems in operations management, surveillance and maintenance of the SMART system.
- Custom-made fire engine units consisting of two modified Toyota Hiluxes, parked at two different locations for quick access to the tunnel in case of fire on both carriageways.
Only cars, MPVs and SUVs not exceeding 2m in heights are allowed to go through.
|Class 1 – Vehicles with 2 axles and 3 or 4 wheels excluding taxis||3.00|
|Class 4 – Taxis||3.00|
|Stormwater Management And Road Tunnel (SMART)|
|Length||4 km (2 mi)|
|Existed||2003 – present|
|History||Completed in 2007|
|North end||Sultan Ismail-Kampung Pandan Link|
|Jalan Tun Razak|
|Sultan Ismail-Kampung Pandan Link|
|Kuala Lumpur Middle Ring Road 1 (Jalan Tun Razak)|
|Kuala Lumpur-Seremban Expressway|
|East-West Link Expressway|
|South end||SMART Tunnel toll plaza near Sungai Besi Airport|
Contact SMART Management
|Syarikat Mengurus Air Banjir & Terowong Sdn Bhd|
|Address||Kompleks Operasi dan Penyelenggaraan Lebuhraya SMART, Jalan Davis, Off Bulatan Kampung Pandan, 50400 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
Did you find what you are looking for? Try out the enhanced Google Search: