16 July 2021
THE newly upgraded cooling facility at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) is expected to significantly reduce the airport’s operating expenses (opex) down by more than RM50 million per annum.
TNB Engineering Corp Sdn Bhd (TNEC) chairman Lim Yu Fen said the collaboration between Tenaga Nasional Bhd (TNB) and Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) via Cooling Energy Supply Sdn Bhd (CESSB) emphasises the utility company’s aspiration to be the leading sustainable energy solutions provider in the country and internationally.
“We are confident that this collaboration will significantly and positively contribute to the great customer experience that all KLIA passengers can enjoy,” he said.
The joint venture (JV) company, CESSB, is 70%-owned by TNB’s wholly owned subsidiary TNEC and the remaining 30% is owned by MAHB’s wholly owned unit, Airport Ventures Sdn Bhd, and was established last year to provide cooling energy and electricity at the airport.
TNEC itself is a specialist in sustainable energy system engineering and a leader in the business of district cooling system’s development, operation and maintenance business, as well as large-scale solar (LSS) plants with a proven track record in Malaysia and abroad.
The company has also completed its development of other local district cooling plants, two district cooling plants in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, as well as three LSS plants in Malaysia.
The JV marks a milestone for both TNB and MAHB, as well as the country as it modernises the district cooling plant at KLIA and helps consolidate energy requirements under a single provider as TNEC is also the cooling energy and power provider for KLIA2.
The 20-year concession agreement signed by both parties will see CESSB operate, maintain and upgrade the existing district cooling cogeneration plant, as well as sell, distribute and supply cooling energy and electricity to customers in KLIA and surrounding facilities.
It will modernise the gas-powered facility to operate using electric fully, which results in the plant producing cooling energy with higher efficiency and significantly reducing the airport’s operating costs by over RM50 million per annum.
Did you find what you are looking for? Try out the enhanced Google Search: