- Maxis Promotions
- Schedule from KL Sentral to KLIA
- Gallery 5
- Service routes from KLIA to Malacca
- KLIA2 to be opened on June 28
- Gallery 1
- Work at KLIA2 98% done, should be...
- Schedule from KLIA to KL Sentral
- AirAsia Promotions
- AirAsia Baggage Info
- Terminal Bersepadu Selatan (TBS)
- Service routes from Malacca to LCCT
- KLIA2 almost complete, to open by...
- Gallery 4
- Salak Tinggi station
- Bandar Tasik Selatan station
- Putrajaya & Cyberjaya station
- Check Taxi Fare
- A simple guide to Malaysia prepaid...
31 May 2013
BY B.K. SIDHU
KLIA2 in progress
FIVE target opening dates and none could be kept.
The question is - is it really necessary to put a new date when the likelihood of it not being kept is high for now?
That is the story of KLIA2, planned for completion in September 2011, but till today, there is no certainty when it will be able to open its doors to the travelling public.
But then again is it really essential to be on time as opposed to glitch-free operations?
Malaysia already has a low cost air terminal near KLIA, though bursting through its seams, and AirAsia boss Tan Sri Tony Fernandes likens it to a "horse stable," but it is functional and flights take off on time.
Whether or not KLIA2 will be delayed does not affect the travellers because they are still used to the current system, though, the new terminal will have better facilities and amenities, aerobridges, dedicated links via ERL to the city and the main terminal building at KLIA for better transit travel. The point is the low cost carrier terminal (LCCT) is still good for point-to-point travel.
For an airline, delays are not good as it affects its planning and if it is taking delivery of new aircraft it will potentially face issues as to where to park the planes. The KLIA2 is supposed to be Asia? biggest low cost air terminal and it does help boost market demand.
But the delay is more detrimental to those outlet guys who want to set up shop at KLIA2. It is loss of opportunity to do business, be it those in the retail, food and beverage and hotel industry. They would have prepared to begin selling at the airport and would have taken bank loans and the delays would mean that they would have to service loans without income.
Logically speaking a delay in opening KLIA2 is also a loss of opportunity even for Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB), the operator and project manager of KLIA2.
So, in any big development, is it crucial to keep to schedules. Just like the mass rapid transit (MRT), every one is counting on it to be ready on time and there will be big penalties for the contractors if they do not deliver on time.
In the case of KLIA2, works begun in 2010 to cater for 25 million passengers at a cost of RM2bil. But along the way the scope was changed, the size doubled to segregate the arrivals from departures, built nine instead of two storeys, install a automated baggage system instead of semi auto, create more retail space and do a lot more things than originally planned.
So the big changes caused a big delay as the job scope swelled from 37 packages to 51 and the cost doubled to RM4bil. The end result is a very modern LCC that is a class above the rest to cater for 45 million passengers.
It is easy to point the finger at one party for the delay, but given the magnitude of the project, the delay is caused by many factors and many players.
KLIA2 is not the only airport whose opening has been delayed many times. Many global airports have gone through the same path as KLIA2 but what continues to surprise many is why demands for modifications and changes were still entertained from airlines and related parties till the eleventh hour.
Should there have been a cut-off point and better planning from the onset or was there some arm-twisting involved along the way that is the cause for the delay.
For the contractors, there are big penalty clauses if they delay completion, and given the magnitude of such a project, the parties should have been more careful in picking the contractors in the first place. Cost overuns is to be expected, but the question is how much and who should bear it - the contractors or MAHB, which is going to seek damages for failure of timely delivery.
Essentially MAHB is caught in a quagmire and it has attracted a lot of unwanted criticisms and is blamed for the delays. The net effect - share price drops because of the delays.
But one thing is for sure, the terminal will open and when it does, MAHB? share price will retreat, but the embarrassment especially for a high impact national job of this magnitude to be delayed five times is too hard to stomach.
All those involved are to be blamed because there was obviously differences in agenda of the parties involved. It? time to put their differences aside and get the job done and stop the blame game.
Because the loss of opportunity for KLIA2 is far greater than that to an airline, airport operator or even a retail outlet, as other LCCTs in the region are trying to position themselves as the LCCT hub of the region.
Deputy news editor B.K. Sidhu hopes MAHB will make it manadatory for usage of aerobridges at all gates at KLIA2.
- 19 Jun, 2013 Malaysia budget airport launch pushed to May 2014
- 19 Jun, 2013 UEM-Bina Puri JV will revisit LAD once job done
- 19 Jun, 2013 It's May 2014 now
- 19 Jun, 2013 MAHB sets May 2, 2014 as KLIA2 revised opening date
- 19 Jun, 2013 KLIA2 new launch date on May 2 next year
- 19 Jun, 2013 Delays in KLIA2 opening affecting AirAsia's expansion plans
- 18 Jun, 2013 MAHB imposes penalties on UEMC-BP
- 18 Jun, 2013 MAHB slaps claim on UEMC-Bina Puri JV
- 18 Jun, 2013 MAHB to impose penalties on UEMC-Bina Puri for KLIA2 delay
- 17 Jun, 2013 WCT to seek compensation from MAHB
- 14 Jun, 2013 AirAsia calls for independent probe in the delay
- 14 Jun, 2013 AirAsia: Reveal KLIA2's take-off date
- 11 Jun, 2013 Reveal KLIA2's delayed opening date, MAHB urged
- 08 Jun, 2013 KUB denies klia2 deal terminated
- 08 Jun, 2013 New KL budget terminal faces delay, cost overruns
- 07 Jun, 2013 Bashir to stay on for another year: MAHB
- 07 Jun, 2013 Opening of KLIA2 to boost Brahim's revenue
- 06 Jun, 2013 MAHB: Extensions granted but it says no justification for delay
- 06 Jun, 2013 No justification for any further extension of KLIA2: MAHB
- 06 Jun, 2013 No extension for KLIA2 contractors
- 06 Jun, 2013 Delay in KLIA2 overshadows MAHB's solid fundamental
- 06 Jun, 2013 KLIA2's cost may hit RM4.3b: Maybank IB
- 06 Jun, 2013 MAHB: KLIA2 delays due to insufficient resources
- 05 Jun, 2013 Bina Puri applies for time extension
- 05 Jun, 2013 MAHB sticks to stand on KLIA2 delay
- 05 Jun, 2013 AirAsia disappointed with KLIA2 delay
- 05 Jun, 2013 KLIA2 blame game, admission of delay not enough: Tony
- 05 Jun, 2013 Pua: MAHB must take responsibility for KLIA2 delay
- 05 Jun, 2013 AirAsia has Plan B on KLIA2 opening delay
- 04 Jun, 2013 KLIA2 may open in Q1 2014, says Alliance
- 03 Jun, 2013 Extensions, job scope delaying KLIA2
- 01 Jun, 2013 Bina Puri squeezed by tight margins
- 01 Jun, 2013 KLIA2 delay not our fault, say key contractors
- 31 May, 2013 Delays galore in KLIA2 opening
- 31 May, 2013 KUB not one of contractors behind KLIA2 delay
- 31 May, 2013 Too many chefs spoiling the broth?
- 30 May, 2013 Malaysia Airports takes KLIA2 contractors to task for delay
- 30 May, 2013 RHB Research maintains Buy on Malaysia Airports
- 27 May, 2013 Pakatan Rakyat calls for independent audit of KLIA2
- 27 May, 2013 Pakatan reps demand answers for latest 'indefinite' deadline
- 17 May, 2013 Malaysia Airports delays KLIA2 opening
- 16 May, 2013 Investing In Airports
- 16 May, 2013 WCT confident of meeting RM1.5b new jobs target for this year
- 14 May, 2013 Creating the perfect journey
- 14 May, 2013 KLIA2 opening to be delayed until fourth quarter of 2013
- 09 May, 2013 MAHB shares down on KLIA2 delay
- 08 May, 2013 KLIA2 may be delayed: MAHB
- 03 May, 2013 MAHB sticks to June 28 target for KLIA2
- 02 May, 2013 Despite delays, MAHB sees bright future
- 30 Apr, 2013 KLIA2 opening likely delayed to January 2014
- 29 Apr, 2013 Research houses have mixed view over MAHB
- 27 Apr, 2013 Higher construction revenue boosts MAHB profit, revenue
- 26 Apr, 2013 Possibility of delay in KLIA2 completion
- 26 Apr, 2013 MAHB expected to delay opening of new LCCT
- 19 Apr, 2013 Opening of KLIA2 must be glitch-free
- 08 Apr, 2013 High traffic growth a boon to local aviation sector
- 04 Apr, 2013 AirAsia X looks forward to moving its ops to new airport
- 17 Apr, 2013 CIMB sees delay for KLIA2
- 17 Apr, 2013 504 auxiliary cops for KLIA2
- 28 Mar, 2013 KLIA2 on target to open in June
- 19 Mar, 2013 Economy to be driven by large infrastructure projects
- 18 Mar, 2013 KLIA2 to be operational by early June
- 07 Mar, 2013 KLIA2 terminal building 80 percent completed
- 23 Feb, 2013 KLIA2 to be ready by May despite deferred opening
- 24 Jan, 2013 Efforts underway to correct tourist arrivals receipt imbalance
- 18 Jan, 2013 Azran: KLIA2 will be significant boost to AirAsia X
- 18 Jan, 2013 Coming of age for Eraman Malaysia with diverse KLIA2 offer
- 17 Jan, 2013 Malaysia Airports launches own airport hotel brand Sama-Sama
- 15 Jan, 2013 LS travel retail ASPAC opens KLIA stores
- 05 Jan, 2013 KLIA2 to be opened on June 28
- 04 Jan, 2013 A tale of two airlines
- 02 Jan, 2013 AirAsia ready for KLIA2