- AirAsia Promotions
- Maxis Promotions
- Schedule from KL Sentral to KLIA
- Gallery 5
- Service routes from KLIA to Malacca
- KLIA2 to be opened on June 28
- Work at KLIA2 98% done, should be...
- Gallery 1
- Schedule from KLIA to KL Sentral
- Terminal Bersepadu Selatan (TBS)
- AirAsia Baggage Info
- Gallery 4
- KLIA2 almost complete, to open by...
- Service routes from Malacca to LCCT
- Putrajaya & Cyberjaya station
- Salak Tinggi station
- Check Taxi Fare
- Bandar Tasik Selatan station
- Malaysia Airlines Promotions
6 July 2012
Suggestions that KLIA2, the new low-cost terminal at Sepang, near here, will cost RM5 billion because of cost overruns appear to be misguided, say sources close to the project.
They said that costs could rise to RM5 billion if certain parties dictated terms to Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) to build additional facilities not in the current plan.
"As of now, everything is under control and the cost of construction will remain at RM3.9 billion," said one of the well-placed sources.
On claims that the airport would not be completed by its deadline of April 2013, the sources said that construction was on schedule and it was not a question of whether the airport would be ready on time but whether the operators of low-cost airlines could get their act together by then.
It is understood that certain systems for the check-in counters have yet to be submitted to MAHB although the deadline was June 15 this year.
In addition, there are also questions whether facilities undertaken by other parties (not MAHB) like hotels and office buildings would be ready by the second quarter of next year.
The sources said KLIA2 could have been completed this year if not for last-minute requests by certain quarters which consequently extended the schedule.
They said that the costs had also gone up from the original RM2 billion because of requests for additional facilities.
Originally, KLIA2 was to be only a two-storey high building, but this has been increased to an equivalent of nine storeys for a three-level terminal comprising separate departure, arrival and ground support equipment areas.
This meant that the gross floor area of the terminal building has been increased by 71% to 257,000 sq m from the original 150,000 sq m.
The sources said the KLIA2 would be the world's largest purpose-built low-cost terminal with a capacity to accommodate 45 million passengers annually.
They said it was also being built at the lowest cost per passenger with aerobridges and enhanced passenger convenience.
"With the aerobridges, passengers need not walk on the apron anymore," they added.
They said although industry standards dictated that 55 boarding gates would be sufficient to handle 30 million pasengers annually, MAHB had accommodated requests to increase the number of boarding gates to 68.
MAHB had also made provisions for a fully automated baggage handling system although there had been earlier requests for a non-fully automated one.
To cater for higher passenger traffic, MAHB had even drew up plans to accommodate the superjumbo Airbus 380 aircraft as well as premium lounges for enhanced passenger comfort.
Under its current construction plan, MAHB had also provided for the construction of four hotels and a public shopping mall next to the terminal.
- 28 Dec, 2012 MARC: Integrated complex near KLIA2 gets 53% tenancy commitment
- 06 Dec, 2012 Brahim's expects to boost revenue by RM200m in 2013
- 27 Nov, 2012 Brahim's wins tender for premium food court and fast food outlet
- 27 Nov, 2012 Hard landing for Malaysia Airports
- 25 Nov, 2012 AirAsia offers low fare deals to celebrate 11th anniversary
- 20 Nov, 2012 KLIA2 to be profitable in first year
- 17 Nov, 2012 Prospects of new airline
- 16 Nov, 2012 Malindo and Lion to absorb 600 unemployed pilots
- 16 Nov, 2012 Existing Tune Hotel in LCCT to be closed once it opens new one
- 16 Nov, 2012 Lion goes regional with Malindo
- 07 Nov, 2012 Nuance-Watson Asia eager to grasp KLIA2 opportunity
- 07 Nov, 2012 ERL extension on track to KLIA2
- 07 Nov, 2012 ERLSB may consider IPO if awarded high-speed rail contract
- 06 Nov, 2012 ERL extension to KLIA2 to be completed next March
- 06 Nov, 2012 Final batches of KLIA2 awards presented
- 06 Nov, 2012 Malindo Air to take off earlier
- 06 Nov, 2012 Powerful mix of local and international operators marks KLIA2
- 05 Nov, 2012 Malindo, Firefly expected to operate out of KLIA2
- 05 Nov, 2012 AirAsia X says KLIA2 switch will make it stronger
- 05 Nov, 2012 Latest batch of klia2 tender awards see strong local presence
- 03 Nov, 2012 Five-hour sale to mark AirAsia X's fifth birthday
- 03 Nov, 2012 KLIA2 expects 20 million passengers in first year
- 02 Nov, 2012 Malindo Airways recruitment drive gets overwhelming response
- 02 Nov, 2012 Malindo Air - a ray of hope for unemployed pilots
- 02 Nov, 2012 KLIA2 ready to attract over half of low-cost carriers worldwide
- 01 Nov, 2012 Biz as usual at Tune Hotels KLIA-LCCT for now
- 30 Oct, 2012 Mudajaya to build a Tune Hotel at KLIA2
- 27 Oct, 2012 YTL embarks on new phase
- 24 Oct, 2012 AirAsia still wants service level agreement from MAHB
- 23 Oct, 2012 AirAsia in talks with MAHB on KLIA2 terms
- 22 Oct, 2012 KLIA2 gets AirAsia nod
- 22 Oct, 2012 AirAsia supremo Tony Fernandes finally says Yes to KLIA2
- 09 Oct, 2012 KLIA2 ahead of schedule, ready by April
- 08 Oct, 2012 Area expansion, infrastructure factors adding to KLIA2 price
- 08 Oct, 2012 AirAsia keeps option open on KLIA2 switch
- 21 Sep, 2012 Nurul Izzah wants audit over air traffic control flop
- 13 Sep, 2012 AirAsia share price dips
- 13 Sep, 2012 AirAsia, MAHB working hard to ensure KLIA2 a success
- 13 Sep, 2012 KLIA2 to host 10 airlines for a start
- 12 Sep, 2012 Malindo Airways to take off in May 2013
- 12 Sep, 2012 Malindo Airways will start Malaysia-Indonesia routes in May
- 12 Sep, 2012 Nadi, Lion Air to launch new LCC
- 11 Sep, 2012 Malaysia' Nadi, Indonesia's Lion Air in low-cost carrier JV
- 08 Sep, 2012 Eye on Stock: WCT Bhd
- 05 Sep, 2012 Malaysia Airports announces first wave of klia2 concession award
- 30 Jul, 2012 KLIA2 opening to boost air traffic
- 29 Jul, 2012 MAHB says charges remain but won't put it in black and white
- 28 Jul, 2012 Airport charges won't be any more taxing
- 28 Jul, 2012 MAHB posts higher Q2 earnings on improved passenger traffic
- 27 Jul, 2012 KLIA2 cost expected to remain at RM4 billion
- 17 Jul, 2012 Construction of KLIA2 to accommodate increase in passengers
- 17 Jul, 2012 New low-cost carrier terminal "bigger and better"
- 14 Jul, 2012 KLIA2 timeliness necessary to cool tension
- 08 Jul, 2012 Work together to complete KLIA2
- 06 Jul, 2012 No reason for KLIA2 to cost RM5b, say sources
- 06 Jul, 2012 No reason for KLIA2 to cost RM5 billion
- 04 Jul, 2012 Time is running out, Tony Fernandes tells MAHB
- 29 Jun, 2012 KLIA handled 16m passengers in Jan-May 2012