- Maxis Promotions
- Schedule from KL Sentral to KLIA
- Gallery 5
- Service routes from KLIA to Malacca
- KLIA2 to be opened on June 28
- Gallery 1
- Work at KLIA2 98% done, should be...
- AirAsia Promotions
- Schedule from KLIA to KL Sentral
- Service routes from Malacca to LCCT
- Salak Tinggi station
- AirAsia Baggage Info
- Putrajaya & Cyberjaya station
- KLIA2 almost complete, to open by...
- Terminal Bersepadu Selatan (TBS)
- Bandar Tasik Selatan station
- A simple guide to Malaysia prepaid...
- Check Taxi Fare
- Gallery 4
4 December 2011
Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) has fought back to say that it was building a bigger KLIA2 upon the request of its biggest customer, AirAsia.
It broke its silence after being criticised by AirAsia boss Tan Sri Tony Fernandes for building KLIA2 to cater to 45 million passengers, thus inflating the cost to RM4bil.
On its website, MAHB posted a document titled Why KLIA2 has to be bigger? which showed that AirAsia had estimated that passenger traffic at the new terminal would hit 28.7 million by 2015, 45.3 million by 2020 and 60.3 million by 2025.
The figures were more aggressive than MAHB's own projections for the same period, according to a graph included on the website.
MAHB said the new airport would cost between RM3.6bil and RM3.9bil and that AirAsia had asked for a fully automated baggage handling system from a semi-automated system, which caused the six-month delay in opening the airport.
KLIA2 will only be ready in April 2013.
AirAsia chairman Datuk Aziz Bakar said yesterday “we had requested MAHB to start thinking of building a bigger KLIA2 and to expand its capacity to cater to 45 million passengers since there has been a series of delays in the completion of the airport. The initial plan was for the airport to handle 30 million passengers and be completed in 2011”.
“(Now) if they do not start preparing for more passengers then we will not have the capacity as we anticipate to achieve 30 million passenger growth by 2015/16,” he said.
On the fully automated baggage system, Aziz said: “We had asked for a semi-automated system but MAHB decided on a fully automated system and we agreed to it.”
The controversy over the bigger airport has also sparked speculation over Tan Sri Bashir Ahmad's future in MAHB.
This led the market to speculate that he was supposed to meetKhazanah Nasional Bhd boss Tan Sri Azman Mokhtar yesterday. It could not be ascertained if the meeting took place.
Khazanah is a major shareholder with 54% stake in MAHB, and when contacted, its spokesman Mohd Asuki Abas said “we do not comment on speculation”.
On Friday, MAHB chairman Tan Sri Dr Aris Othman said Bashir had the full support of the management and board, quashing rumours the latter would be replaced.
- 27 Dec, 2011 Traffic deviation near KLIA
- 26 Dec, 2011 Eventful 2011 for aviation, more headwinds await in 2012
- 15 Dec, 2011 Air Asia should use KLIA2 airport aerobridges: Disabled groups
- 14 Dec, 2011 Pua referred to outdated KLIA master plan, says Malaysia Airport
- 15 Dec, 2011 Why was KLIA2 moved to a soft soil site?
- 12 Dec, 2011 Spotlight is on MAHB's fourth delay, cost revision to KLIA2
- 10 Dec, 2011 NGOs laud inclusion of aerobridges at KLIA2
- 09 Dec, 2011 AirAsia keen to end MAHB spat
- 09 Dec, 2011 Festivities galore at terminal as budget carrier turns 10
- 08 Dec, 2011 Airport dispute
- 07 Dec, 2011 AirAsia hopes MAHB will accord fair consideration
- 07 Dec, 2011 AirAsia wants freeze on fees
- 07 Dec, 2011 AirAsia wants SLA for KLIA2
- 06 Dec, 2011 AirAsia seeks low charges in new Malaysian airport
- 06 Dec, 2011 MAHB says willing to ink SLA with AirAsia
- 06 Dec, 2011 New twist to AirAsia-MAHB feud over KLIA2
- 06 Dec, 2011 Puan Faizah Khairuddin named Personality of the Month
- 05 Dec, 2011 Overall, MAHB is on the right track
- 05 Dec, 2011 Pan Pacific Kuala Lumpur Hotel taps into MICE market
- 04 Dec, 2011 AirAsia vs MAHB: The gloves are off
- 04 Dec, 2011 Be professional, not personal
- 04 Dec, 2011 MAHB: AirAsia asked for bigger KLIA2
- 04 Dec, 2011 Stop the blame game
- 03 Dec, 2011 Management, board fully support Bashir
- 03 Dec, 2011 Of airport taxes and cost overrun
- 02 Dec, 2011 AirAsia and Malaysia Airports urged to move on
- 02 Dec, 2011 AirAsia: NO to airport tax increase
- 02 Dec, 2011 AirAsia: Stop harassing our staff
- 02 Dec, 2011 Rumours fly over new chief for MAHB
- 02 Dec, 2011 Why is Tony unhappy?
- 01 Dec, 2011 For MAHB, new low-cost carrier terminal is a calculated risk
- 01 Dec, 2011 KLIA2 will be the biggest low-cost terminal
- 30 Nov, 2011 PJII unit gets RM34.6 million KLIA2 job
- 30 Dec, 2011 A bigger-than-planned, more efficient low-cost terminal
- 30 Dec, 2011 AirAsia will not use aerobridges at new low-cost terminal
- 29 Nov, 2011 KLIA2 cost rises to RM3.9 billion, to only open April 2013
- 29 Nov, 2011 KLIA2 to cost RM3.6 billion to RM3.9 billion
- 29 Nov, 2011 KLIA2 to start operations in April 2013
- 28 Nov, 2011 KLIA2 baggage system upgrade to cost MAHB RM100 million more
- 26 Nov, 2011 Fernandes sees fantastic year ahead for the low-cost carrier
- 26 Nov, 2011 KLIA2 cost overrun poser to be answered on Tuesday
- 24 Nov, 2011 Explain ballooning cost of KLIA2
- 23 Nov, 2011 DAP seeks full disclosure on KLIA2 costs
- 23 Nov, 2011 Fernandes mocks Malaysia Airports over KLIA2
- 23 Nov, 2011 Many have wrong picture of MAHB, says its Chairman
- 22 Nov, 2011 KLIA2 to cost more than RM2.5 billion?
- 19 Nov, 2011 Lots of room for retailers at KLIA2
- 17 Nov, 2011 Bidding opens for 225 commercial lots in KLIA2
- 15 Nov, 2011 MAHB unveils big ambitions for new low-cost terminal
- 11 Nov, 2011 MAHB: More flights expected to come to Malaysia
- 10 Nov, 2011 MAHB projects RM1.2b retail sales at KLIA2 in first year
- 10 Nov, 2011 Malaysia Airports unveils KLIA2 retail proposition
- 10 Nov, 2011 Retailers can bid for KLIA2 space next year
- 09 Nov, 2011 Malaysia Airports unveils partnership model
- 28 Oct, 2011 Completion of KLIA2 to drive earnings of MAHB starting 2013
- 28 Oct, 2011 TNB wins KLIA2 jobs
- 11 Oct, 2011 KUB Builders win RM268.8mil contract from Malaysia Airports
- 29 Sep, 2011 KLIA2 to be commercially driven
- 28 Sep, 2011 Airport redesign to plug loopholes
- 23 Sep, 2011 MAHB signs RM530mil deal with WCT to develop KLIA2
- 22 Sep, 2011 Govt to wait for MAHB's decision on KLIA2 aerobridge
- 12 Sep, 2011 KLIA2 must come with aerobridges
- 10 Sep, 2011 Why not aerobridges?
- 08 Sep, 2011 KLIA moves up in online travel poll
- 20 Aug, 2011 Disabled group insists on aerobridge at new KLIA2 terminal
- 20 Aug, 2011 MAHB aims for the sky
- 20 Aug, 2011 Talks of revamp at MAHB fizzle out
- 29 Jul, 2011 KLIA2 40% completed
- 15 Jul, 2011 New LCT designed to enable installation of aerobridges
- 01 Jun, 2011 Strong demand for air travel results in MAHB profit jumping 20%
- 30 May, 2011 AirAsia X IPO gets a boost
- 30 May, 2011 Strong interest to jointly develop 50 acres near KLIA2
- 10 May, 2011 Lower air passenger traffic due to higher oil prices
- 29 Apr, 2011 MAHB plans to get new low-cost terminal job done well
- 17 Feb, 2011 MAHB quarterly net profit down on FRS 139 adoption
- 30 Jan, 2011 New, better KLIA2 takes wings
- 25 Jan, 2011 Regulatory body needed for airline industry, says Fernandes
- 24 Jan, 2011 Khazanah stresses on need for timely delivery of KLIA2